20 Percepts of Karate
by Gichin Funakoshi
1. Karate begins and ends in sincere respect.
2. There is no first strike in karate.
3. Karate stands on the side of justice.
4. Seek first to know yourself before understanding others.
5. Spirit first, the technique is second.
6. Be ready to free the mind.
7. Accidents arise from negligence.
8. Karate goes beyond the dojo.
9. Karate is a lifelong pursuit.
10. Live karate every day and you will discover subtle secrets.
11. Karate is like boiling water, if you do not heat it, it will cool.
12. Do not think of winning, rather, think of not losing.
13. Victory depends on your ability to adapt to your opponent.
14. Outcome of a battle depends on how one handles weaknesses and strengths.
15. Treat your opponent's hands and feet as swords.
16. When you step outside, you face a million enemies.
17. Beginners must master stances, the advanced moves naturally.
18. Perform kata exactly, fighting is another matter.
19. Do not forget the proper use of power, extension and contraction of the body, and regulate the speed of technique.
20. Be constantly mindful in your pursuit of the way of karate.